THE ROCHFORD HUNDRED FLYING
A POTTED HISTORY
The Rochford Hundred Flying
Group was founded at Southend Airport in Essex in 1964 following
the closure of the local municipal flying school. Its first aircraft
was the Auster 5D G-ANHX.
G-ANHX was sold shortly after the Auster J/5B Autocar
G-AMFP was acquired in July 1969. For 18 out of the previous 20
years, G-AMFP had been based at Southend, initially with Aviation
Traders, and from 1955 with Southend Corporation who often used
it for joyriding over the pier and seafront. This aircraft was
lost in a non-fatal crash in the Jura mountains on August 10th
1972 while in transit between Geneva and Macon.
Following the loss of G-AMFP, the RHFG leased the
Rollason built Druine D.62B Condor G-AWSR from the Tiger Club
while they looked for a new aircraft of their own. A.J. Jackson
is pictured with the aircraft shortly after it was delivered to
The Beagle A.61 Terrier 2 G-ASAK was acquired in 1973.
This aircraft, which had been completely rebuilt, remained in
service with the RHFG for 22 years until 1995. During this time
the aircraft was maintained by Jim Franks (in the white coat),
a veteran of the Marine Aircraft Experimental Establishment at
Felixstowe and a former Chief Engineer of the Southend Municipal
more images of the Colt
The Group acquired its last aircraft, the Piper PA-22-108 Colt
G-ARKK, in 1995. It was sold in March 2002,
Roger Jackson was involved with the RHFG from its inception,
initially through his father, and then from 1973 on his own account. Roger was
the Group's Secretary from 1978 until its disbandment in 2002.